October 5, 2011

Review: After Obsession by Carrie Jones, Steven E. Wedel

Summary-
Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.

Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession.

Review-
This book is surprisingly entertaining, though somewhat predictable.  It is refreshing after so many immortal romances, but still the same in a couple of ways. Aimee and Alan both have a special power that helps them to save a friend after the spirit takes over her body, but that you can tell from the beginning. The story does seem a little drawn out at some parts, and a little looked over at others. Some of the things that could be more descriptive doesn't get as much attention, but nevertheless, it is an entertaining story about two teens overcoming what even grownups couldn't do.  I would recommend this to anyone who has an interest in the supernatural.

Publisher-Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Review Score: 4 Stars
Reviewed by~Patti

~Thank you to the Publisher for the donation of this book!~

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to read this for a while. I am really interested in supernatutal books so I will def been checking this out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is a bit shallow, but I have been wanting to read this from the time I first saw the cover :) Thank you for sharing your review with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The possession story itself, while not completely scary, was still suspenseful enough to leave me biting my nails as I turned the page (but, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat, so I might not be the best judge of these things). Courtney is being possessed by an evil spirit, however, I can't say that I cared too much about what happened to Courtney, and I wish this was different. I might have rooted for her some more, if there was more story around why Courtney did and believed as she did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)